Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)

Subject: Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 06:56:27 -0700

Most companies have policies on managers/former managers giving
references on ex-subordinates to avoid a situation in which the given
reference might be construed as being an official company response
to reference requests, but don't necessarily apply the same policies about managers you haven't reported directly to, and I've yet to see
a company take the trouble to develop a policy for non-manager coworkers. And, as I mentioned before, once someone has left a
company they're not under any policy at all regarding their ex-
employees and coworkers. When people leave companies their
coworkers often joke, "let me know if they need any (insert job
title here;" it wouldn't hurt to stay in touch with those folks for
real, just in case.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa M. Bronson" <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com>

What do you suggest for references for a person who has spent most of
their career with the same company, but that company is a large
corporation that has a policy of not allowing people to give any
information about employees other than dates of service? I'm in that
situation, and while I'm not looking for a new job, if I ever need to, it
will be a concern.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com