RE: References (was: Why discuss certification?)

Subject: RE: References (was: Why discuss certification?)
From: "Wilcox, Rose" <rwilcox -at- ssqi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:23:06 -0700

> What do you suggest for references for a person who has spent most of
> their career with the same company, but that company is a large
> corporation that has a policy of not allowing people to give any
> information about employees other than dates of service? I'm in that
> situation, and while I'm not looking for a new job, if I ever need to,
it
> will be a concern.
>
> Lisa B.

I worked for such a company for 4 1/2 years and had several people who
agreed to be "personal references" rather than "professional
references". In addition, two of my managers had moved on to other
companies and were able to provide me with a reference. Other than
that, I would suggest volunteer and off-the-job references that could
attest to professional characteristics such as making deadlines, etc.

Rosie

Rose A. Wilcox
Senior Technical Writer
480-586-2645