Re: Possible knowledge base project?

Subject: Re: Possible knowledge base project?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:40:45 -0500

Gen,

Let's see...you want to get all this online, verify it for accuracy to
catch the existing problems, make it all searchable...right?

I'd suggest you take a look at Dejavu from http://www.lizardtech.com.

This creates from scans a viewable file much as Acrobat does--but much
smaller. It also creates a text layer so that the documents are
completely searchable.

Over time, you can begin to consolidate all this information...but
recreating it with all the photography that your current files contain
(judging from the Castec website) may be a major undertaking if you
don't have the originals.

Dejavu, like Acrobat, has browser plugins but they too are far smaller
than the Adobe stuff.

David

On 8/5/05, Gen Whitt <gen -dot- whitt -at- castec -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I would appreciate advice on the best approach/tools for the following
> scenario.
>
> Our sales people each keep a set of two big fat binders full of pricing
> and product information. This info comes from many sources. I have been
> asked to put these books online.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com