Re: techwr-l digest: August 05, 2005 - ISO Certification

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: August 05, 2005 - ISO Certification
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:20:27 -0500

It is difficult for some people to remember that staff resources are
often limited by the demands of business, making major commitments
that impact the entire organization have a serious effect upon
productivity. Whether engaging in ISO documentation or seeking to
implement SAP, as another example, the "cure" may prove more difficult
than the disease in the short term.

There is little doubt that a periodic review of processes with an eye
to keeping them as streamlined as possible is a highly desirable
objective; there is also little doubt that doing so the first time can
be an incredible burden.

Those who look upon the ISO process as beneficial and who seek to
reengineer themselves as they go can get a great deal out of the
exercise. Driving the commitment down far enough within the
organization to make it effective and sustaining the effort long
enough for the benefits to accrue are both often rather daunting
challenges.

Half-hearted buy-in by second and third level managers can be deadly
to a truly successful result, in my experience, and defeat the real
value that should flow from the exercise.

Often, the problem lies with a lack of persuasive communication from
the top down that should enlist the willing cooperation of the entire
staff. If necessary, marketing communicators should be employed in
this process of internal persuasion--but rarely are.

David

On 8/8/05, imac <tarage -at- bellsouth -dot- net> wrote:

> Well said. Having been in places that take such commitments
> light-heartedly, the only thing I think you can do when confronted with
> institutional sickness is vote with your feet.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com