Re: techwr-l digest: August 05, 2005 - ISO Certification

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: August 05, 2005 - ISO Certification
From: tarage -at- bellsouth -dot- net (imac)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 09:00:18 -0400

wsfn wrote:

<SNIP>

>Processes aren't unnecessary - that's the whinge
>of someone who doesn't document what they do -
>ever. That is the thinking of someone who
>expects to be the hero, save the day, trash the
>entire schedule when they get sick or leave. No
>one is irreplaceable, nothing exists unless it is
>written down, and seriously - fewer documents are
>the end result.
>
>There are a lot of examples of bad workplaces,
>bad implimentation of a good thing, but blame the
>people - the management, not the documentation
>and the certification.

Well said. Having been in places that take such commitments
light-heartedly, the only thing I think you can do when confronted with
institutional sickness is vote with your feet. Unless you're a future
management prodigy or the world's most charming individual, the amount
of influence you can radiate will never be enough to turn the tanker
around. I think a lot of folks dwell also in such semi-lit caverns and
so throw cold water on such standards. (P.s. people get addicted to the
kudos of "saving the day" because it gives them social prestiege and
this happens more to developers than tech writers, in my
experience.)

~Mike

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com