Re: Any open source help software tools?

Subject: Re: Any open source help software tools?
From: Rachel Rawlings <rachel -at- scrivovivo -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:48:13 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

>You're right, of course, but I was curious about whether any open source
>tools existed specifically for creating Windows help files. It might be
>worth an article if there are.

Ah, naruhodo [1]! Most open-source projects are intended to help people
break out of Microsoft's grip, rather than break in. ;) However, you
might want to look at the open source CHMlib [2] and the API projects
which use it [3]. (As yet, there are no WYSIWYG tools, afaik, in the
open source world to create .chm help files, but you can always use a
good HTML editor like nvu [4] and then use a command-line tool to
transform the HTML to compressed help.

[1] æç ïããããï (adv,exp) (usu. kana) I see; That's right!; indeed.
[2] http://66.93.236.84/~jedwin/projects/chmlib/
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compressed_HTML_Help
[4] http://www.nvu.com/

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com