Re: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!

Subject: Re: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:14:55 -0700 (PDT)

We should not should laugh too hard or too long at
ideas like podcasting. If we want to ensure the
long-term viability of our profession, we have to
think beyond "documentation" and realize that what we
really do is educate. We need to be open to
educational and communication media that transcend
FrameMaker files and the traditional online help
systems that we've grown used to. (Heck, our users
aren't reading much of it anyway.)

If my customers came to me and said they'd be open to
a podcast to explain new features and functionality,
I'd be crazy for not giving it a try. While not
suitable for every situation, it could be interesting.

Steven Brown
Technical Writer (or something like that)

--- Sarah Stegall <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

> After posting a recently completed document to the
> company internal website
> for review, I find myself getting several requests
> for an *audio* version of
> the document. The document is a 135 page SDK,
> complete with code examples.
> Since when do developers get audio versions of a
> developer's guide?? And
> these guys aren't kidding. They're serious.
> I've told them I'm contacting Bo Bice (American Idol
> runner-up this year) to
> see about having him sing the audio version. Maybe
> we should put up a
> podcast on the company website?
>
> Sarah

http://mail.yahoo.com