online job hunt -- for telecommuters

Subject: online job hunt -- for telecommuters
From: Jefro <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:10:58 -0700

Has anyone discovered an effective way to hunt for telecommuting jobs online, contract or otherwise?

I have been a full-time telecommuter for 6 years as a captive, although I have taken a contract here and there. Now I'm pounding the virtual pavement but not turning up a whole lot, and for the callbacks/interviews I get, the conversation always starts with "so, you live 200 miles away---well, we are really looking for someone to be on-site..." These are coming from VERY well-qualified leads, and I have 13 years experience.

I should add that in my experience, the main problem, actually the ONLY problem, with telecommuting is that one's network tends to wither quickly without constant attention. It's hard to have lunch with old co-workers from far away. I am working on rebuilding mine now, but it is a slow process.
Maybe I am simply expecting too much of the job hunting process, online or otherwise. It has been many years since I did this, and the last time was a frantic month in 2002 before being hired back by the company that laid me off (accidentally) in the first place. Before that it was... let's see... 1997-ish? No wonder my skills are rusty.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com