Re: Help testing - how do you handle it?

Subject: Re: Help testing - how do you handle it?
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:45:43 -0400

Mary mearro -at- msn -dot- com asked, "How do you handle your review & doc testing? Who reviews your Help? Who reviews your documentation? Are you able to automate (and if so, how) the Help testing? How do you test links? Does anyone "signoff" on the docs? If you're part of a writing group - do you review each other's work?"

Being the lone tech writer/editor/designer/tester/guinea pig/whatever, I sympathize. My way of user testing is asking friends, relatives, and non-technical coworkers for their "opinion" on "something I'm working on." Usually they will oblige and take a few minutes to play with, read, or look over the project. Of course, this would not work for larger projects. But, it works for me until we can institute some formal system for testing.

Good luck!

Arroxane

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com