Re: Help testing - how do you handle it?

Subject: Re: Help testing - how do you handle it?
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:43:54 -0400

I make sure every project is covered by a documentation plan that includes the requirements for getting the documentation, Help, and any other products of the plan tested, reviewed and approved. When management signs off on the plan, approving my requirements, they are also committing to providing the resources I need. If those resources are not forthcoming, I'm covered by a statement in the doc plan under "risks" that says something to the effect that quality of the final result is dependent upon timely testing, review and approval as outlined in the plan.

The doc plan specifies every aspect of the documentation project I'm working on, so all the stakeholders know what will happen, who is involved, and what part everyone plays in the success of the documentation. If the best I can garner is Help testing from ther other writers when they have a chance, then that's what I put in the plan. On complicated projects I've gone so far as to create a test plan for Help or websites or even a large suite of documents. As with software, the plan is a specification of what it would be if it is perfect; I often have to settle for less, but at least I've shifted responsibility for the lack off my shoulders onto management who approved the plan and weren't able to come up with the resources they said they'd provide.

mearro -at- msn -dot- com wrote:

Our latest & biggest Help system is dynamic (topics display based on specific module and user privilege) and
supports customer white labelling. So, there are more complications, more
things to test, and (to be honest) more things that I can mess up on.

How do you handle your review & doc testing? Who reviews your Help? Who
reviews your documentation? Are you able to automate (and if so, how) the
Help testing? How do you test links? Does anyone "signoff" on the docs? If
you're part of a writing group - do you review each other's work?

Thanks,

Mary

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416.491.5050 x3133
laughpractice.blogspot.com
http://www.tinyurl.com/83u5u

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com