Differences between Training guide vs User's Guide

Subject: Differences between Training guide vs User's Guide
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:43:18 +0800

My team and I are beginning to start work on a training guide. They have
already started working on their individual topics in Chinese based on
the English template which I created. I will be working alone in ENglish
for now.

Our software system already has a User's Guide or online Help (RoboHelp,
compiled help chm). When writing the Training Guide, it seems like I am
rewriting my user manual all over again except
- we have screenshots,
- working in Word.
- breaking down content to individual job roles
- small assessment section (a bit unclear)

We will provide this training guide to supplement our Project staff when
they deploy the software and train clients.

I feel uneasy that it may not be a good idea in the long term
(duplicating information). Our users are majority of of low education
(some illilterate), although manager/supervisor levels will have no
problem reading. Though I suspect the training will mostly benefit
supervisors and managers.

The issue is what are the key differences that a training guide should
offer. Nowadays, I am unsure if I have even worded the topics correctly
now, unlike when I was writing the User's Guide.

Training Guide for XXX Personnel
Course 1: Managing human resources
-Managing factories
-Managing departments
-Managing production groups
-Managing employees.

Do I document every dialog/field/ screen, or am I focused on user
interaction flow alone.

So, from your experience, what are the key differences with a training
guide versus electronic help?
How does say an MCSE/professional training guide look?
What tips should I keep in mind?

Daniel Ng
Lead Technical Writer and Trainer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com