RE: Process Mapping

Subject: RE: Process Mapping
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:34:30 -0400

Lisa asked...

> Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, but it is in my
> job description, so I'm hoping someone else is dealing with it too.
>
> I have to create a Visio flowchart to map each process I document.
> I've got the basics down pat. My question comes in which shape to
> choose when I want to get fancier than a decision or manual operation.
> Can anyone direct me to a site or book that has "definitions" for the
> standard Visio flowchart shapes?
>
> Thank you!

Awesome question Lisa! I use Visio to create a flowchart for every
process I document as well, but when it comes to the shapes I just sort
of "wing it" and go with the shape definitions that the default Visio
flowcharting shapes carry with them. However, your post prompted me to
Google "flowchart symbols" and I've located two possible sources (or
references to them--haven't found the source proper yet):

1. International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO), ISO 5807
Information processing -- Documentation symbols and conventions; program
and system flowcharts ...

2. American National Standard, ANSI X3.6-1970, Flowchart Symbols and
their Usage in Information Processing

I would imagine these would have "exhaustive" information on exactly
when and how to use each symbol. Not sure if you're looking for that
much detail, but when I have a minute I might try to scare them up and
see what they say...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com