Irfanview, a better example: was: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Irfanview, a better example: was: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:08:25 -0500

John,

Your illustration is not particularly compelling. Using the GIMP for
"resizing and changing an image from GIF to JPG is complete overkill.
It'll do it--as would Photoshop--but that is a rather lightweight task
for either one.

If that is your need, another tool called Irfanview--also free
software--is much more convenient.

In fact, Irfanview is one of the best image viewing programs out
there, free *or* commercial. It also has a host of other features
including those you used for your example. It makes all sorts of image
work trivial and fast...and now works with some other multimedia files
as well.

As the web page puts it, with Irfanview you can: "view, convert,
optimize, scan & print, create slideshows, batch processing, play
movies & sounds, and many, many more."

If you are not familiar with it, I strongly recommend you check it
out: http://www.irfanview.com

David

On 8/18/05, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> > Watching various software questions being asked on this list, I
> > keep wondering why so few list members consider open source
> software
> > when evaluating tools?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com