Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: Jan Smith <jansmith -at- curpheymedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:22:23 +1000

I've been chuckling away to myself watching this topic.
I am currently updating the Compact Guide for Linux for Computerbank. Computerbank is an organisation run by volunteers. We renovate donated computers for the poor and disadvantaged in Melbourne Australia. If it wasn't for open source software we would have to charge people license fees for the 50 carefully selected programs on the computers. We give free training and give the computers away for no charge. To see the look of delight and discovery on some of our clients faces is pretty special.

Jan Smith
Vice President
Computerbank Victoria
http://vic.computerbank.org.au/