Re: Irfanview, a better example: was: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Irfanview, a better example: was: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:32:28 -0400

John Cornellier wrote:

> Irfanview is only free for non-commercial use. Business users should pay
> a trivial license fee.

That's right. It's also not open-source. It's free (or nearly so),
and if you write to Irfan he'll tell you how to write plugins for
it, but that's as 'open' as his source gets.

It's also the best light-duty image viewer for Windows, bar none,
and has been since late 1996. To say I relied on it in my Windows
days is understatement: I took it utterly for granted. Thought
everybody did.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com