Re: Newsletters -- what's the best tool for creating them?

Subject: Re: Newsletters -- what's the best tool for creating them?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:04:33 -0500

>From the description, it sounds as if you want to create a vehicle
that the technically clueless can use to do the actual newsletters.

An alternative might be to use one of the content management products
that allow exactly that--only for web-based delivery.

There are many different ones that are free, so cost need not be an
issue. Doing it on the web, too, you save all the production costs and
hassles of printed materials.

Then there are tools either free or cheap that convert HTML to PDF, so
the entire solution chain is available to do exactly what you specify.
Stylesheets control the layout issues, but the users themselves can
insert content.

David

> > Beth Brooks wondered: <<This week I'm being asked to create a
> > newsletter template that will be easy to use and maintain in an
> > environment that runs strongly to the non-technical (e.g., nobody
> knows
> > how to use MS Word styles). I've been told I can recommend a tool for
> > purchase so long as it is not TOO expensive, can accept content from
> MS
> > Office products, and doesn't have a hefty learning curve. The
> > newsletters will have 8.5 x 11 pages and may be distributed on paper
> or
> > in PDF format.>>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com