Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:35:52 -0700 (PDT)

> I wonder: How important is support for any software used by
> technical writers? People often cite it as a reason for not
> using FOSS tools, but does anyone make regular user of Adobe,
> Macromedia, or Microsoft support?

I used Macromedia support about two months ago and currently have a
support ticket open with MS for a protected memory problem while
compiling CHMs

> I know that I never did. I was always far more likely to
> check on the Internet, or ask a question to a list like ths one.

I came to the lists first and only when it couldn't be or wasn't
resolved did I escalate it to the vendor. With the Macromedia, it was
for an issue that nobody on the WWP forum was able to address and for
the MS issue, one that nobody on the HATT forum was able to address.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than
anybody else has."