Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:32:58 -0700

Support for software used *only* by tech writers is not terribly
important here. For software used across the entire company,
including tech writers, it is integral to the site license, though it
comes into play more for large-scale issues and upgrade pricing
than for individual user support. If I want to install something
that is likely to be limited to our dept and a few other uses, I can get it done easily, but trying to implement an alternate app
to do what MS Office or the document control suite does is
another matter.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>

I wonder: How important is support for any software used by technical
writers? People often cite it as a reason for not using FOSS tools, but
does anyone make regular user of Adobe, Macromedia, or Microsoft
support?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com