How does one "sign-off" on a 200 page document?

Subject: How does one "sign-off" on a 200 page document?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:54:35 -0700 (PDT)

I have an interesting delema.

Until a week ago, the first product I documented was under my
manager's responsibility.

About the time I finished it and was working toward sign-off by my
manager, he was promoted (I still report to him), but the product was
transfered to under a different supv in the department.

I'm now in the situation where the person under whom the
documentation was created no longer has responsibility for the
documentation, but the people who do have it now, had no stake in the
development of the document.

End of last week, I asked the new manager what process he wants to
use to sign-off on the document...we have no formal process because
we've never had formal documentation.

His response was that the SME with whom I've been working since Feb
be the one to sign-off. When I emailed the SME today to explain the
new documentation situation, his response was:

"I'm not sure how to proceed. In this case, what does sign-off
entail? Do you have any suggestions?"

I can easily say "Send me an email saying you sign off", but it feels
to me like I'm placing the responsibility on some poor guy who
happens to know most about the product but has no responsibility for
the documentation. Is that how you would do it?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than
anybody else has."