RE: Correct Usage of Terms

Subject: RE: Correct Usage of Terms
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:10:01 -0400

"Correct" and "appropriate" all depend on the audience. If we
had to avoid every term that is inappropriate for every audience,
we'd have no words left to use, at all.

"Read Me First!" is a useful guide for an audience of Sun users,
and to a lesser extend UNIX users. But there are lots of terminology
differences between what's appropriate and correct for a Sun/UNIX
audience and an audience of Windows users, where the Microsoft
Manual of Style would be the basic refeence. And telecom is different
than that. And aeronautics is different yet again. And then there is
the medical world, and the academic world, and...

My opionions only; I don;t speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Lucero, Peggy" <plucero -at- atsva -dot- com>
Subject: Correct Usage of Terms
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:58:12 -0400

OK, in my quest to get better every day : )
I've been reading the Read Me First! style guide and find in Appendix C
their 7-page rendition of "terms that you *should not use* in technical
documentation and terms that you should avoid" Appendix C is entitled:

"Correct Usage of Terms"

Just wondering, is this the 'most respected' list on this topic?
Alternatively, is there one that is more, well, accepted and
established, and considered the definitive word on the topic (or am I a
dreamer).

Thanks,

Peggy Lucero
Sr Technical Writer