What the holy heck is wrong with Word

Subject: What the holy heck is wrong with Word
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:34:51 -0400 (EDT)

If you've been following this saga, you'll know I've
been having a few problems with Word. Well, anybody
who uses it has had their share, but this is getting
crazy. I should note that I have been using Word for
many years, and have never had these particular
problems. (Plenty of others, though....)

Yesterday, I changed computers, partly because of all
the issues. Freshly formatted computer, new Word. I go
to the Style Organizer, wanting to import a few select
styles into a new template I have created, and here is
the sum total of what is available in Normal.dot:

Default paragraph font
No list
Normal
Table Normal

If, instead, I:

1. Open a blank document based on Normal.dot
2. Format > Styles and Formatting
3. Select Show: All Styles

There are the usual styles one would expect in
Normal.dot. Selecting Available Styles shows only four
styles, none the same as the four in the Organizer.
(Heading 1-3, Normal)

I deleted Normal.dot and let Word create a new
instance. No difference.

Where have all the styles gone?

All the best,
Brian