Re: What the holy heck is wrong with Word

Subject: Re: What the holy heck is wrong with Word
From: Lisa Wright <lisawright -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:59:14 -0500

Brian,
In Word 2003, the Available Styles setting is covered in the online help under "There are too many descriptions in the Styles and Formatting task pane." It didn't click with me before, but evidently there's a reason that some of the view options are labeled "formatting," and some are labeled "styles."

The topic reads as follows:

"By default, formatting that's in use, common heading styles, and styles you have created are displayed in the Styles and Formatting task pane.

You may have selected All Styles in the Show box. Instead, click "Available formatting" to restore the default view, "Formatting in use" to see only the formatting that appears in your document, or click Custom to define the view.

If "Available formatting" is selected in the Show box, you may have many overlapping formats that look similar but aren't exactly the same. To provide a more consistent look and to remove overlapping formats, you can check the consistency of formatting.

As I say to my mother, "some tech writer worked really hard to write that stuff! You should read it!"

HTH,

Lisa

Brian Gordon wrote:
<snip>I go

to the Style Organizer, wanting to import a few select
styles into a new template I have created, and here is
the sum total of what is available in Normal.dot:

Default paragraph font
No list
Normal
Table Normal

If, instead, I:

1. Open a blank document based on Normal.dot
2. Format > Styles and Formatting
3. Select Show: All Styles

There are the usual styles one would expect in
Normal.dot. Selecting Available Styles shows only four
styles, none the same as the four in the Organizer.
(Heading 1-3, Normal)

I deleted Normal.dot and let Word create a new
instance. No difference.
Where have all the styles gone?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com