Re: meeting minutes--

Subject: Re: meeting minutes--
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:15:07 +0800

Lucero, Peggy <plucero -at- atsva -dot- com> wrote:

> ... Part of my job is
> to capture the meeting minutes for the team's weekly meetings.
>
> Initially I was trying to capture these events manually (and no, I don't
> know shorthand.) It was impossible.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can deal with this?
> These meeting minutes are sometimes very time intensive to get into a
> document. Meetings are typically 1 hr and ...

To me it sounds like you have the emphasis wrong. Don't even try
to transcribe it. Take MINUTES. Those are SHORT notes covering
anything important. Agenda, decisions, assignments, ...

The idea is that someone who missed the meeting can get up to
date by reading the minutes. The less text there is, the better.

Minutes for a one-hour meeting in a moderately well-organised
place might might be:

Present: all dep't heads except Fred Bloggs
Mr Jones, Miss Smith

Agenda
<include copy from the email announcing the meeting>

There was extensive discussion of the plan to open an office on
Mars. No consensus was reached. An opportunity, but a risk.

Decisions:
Fred Bloggs and Susan Froggs to report on market
prospects for Martian office next month
Tom Thumb to write Hitchiker's Guide by October 1
Wendy Wizardess to provide technical input

That's in a company where meetings are well orgabised and
decisions actually made. In some companies, you would need
far less text.

--
Sandy Harris
Fuzhou, Fujian, China