Re: meeting minutes--

Subject: Re: meeting minutes--
From: "Jerry Muelver" <jerry -at- hytext -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:20:56 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lucero, Peggy"

I started my present job at the beginning of May '05. Part of my job is
to capture the meeting minutes for the team's weekly meetings.
*I am trying to learn how many other tech writers have this kind of a
responsibility and how they do it.*
My boss actually keeps telling me that I rely too much on the recorder
and that I should go back to doing it manually-I entirely DISAGREE on
this. She brings this up often!!! : (
These meeting minutes are sometimes very time intensive to get into a
document. Meetings are typically 1 hr and several of the participants
are on the speaker phone (remote in another state) and one has a heavy
accent and one speaks really low.
Thoughts are most welcomed. Thank You.

"Take minutes" does not mean "transcribe all utterances". The meeting's leader (chair, facilitator, whatever) should be summarizing the action, making assignments, restating questions, calling for votes, and other meetingish behaviors. That's what you should record, not everything everyone says, blurts, grunts, or mumbles.

Meetings have a purpose. The minutes for a meeting should summarize events during the meeting that relate to that purpose, to show how (or why not) the purpose was achieved.

---- Jerry Muelver
Techwriting patterns wiki - http://twpats.hytext.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com