Re: Tech Comms for disaster relief

Subject: Re: Tech Comms for disaster relief
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 07:46:59 -0700 (PDT)

> I wonder how many companies in NO really did have one, and how many
> had one whose provisions involved off-site archiving of data in a
> location that was not also in the storm strike region.

Its been said that the biggest reason, by far, that companies don't
open their doors following a disaster like this is that they loose
their records of who owes them money...and their cutomers certainly
aren't volunteering the information.

Unless you are a web based ecommerce company where your money comes
in through the web (and in that case, youy want to get that system up
pretty quick), if you have a traditional company that does collection
by invoice, the first DP system you are going to want to get up and
running is the system where your A/R was running. Gotta get the cash
flow working so you can either buy the stuff to rebuild your company
or hit the bank for a working capital oan bewased on your A/R.

If you are an fimamcial system-type technical writer, there are lots
of systems that need to be brought up, and part of that process is
documentation.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than