Re: Tech Comms for disaster relief

Subject: Re: Tech Comms for disaster relief
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:24:55 -0700 (PDT)

> information that fresh is backed up on some server right in the
> building.

Oh...THAT server...the one bobbing in the Mississippi?

When my employer got involved in disaster recovery projects, usualy
in buildings that had fires on upper floors where the water used to
put out the fire soaked everything on the floors below it, one of the
things we told our customers was NOT to dry the hard disk from water
before sending it off to be recovered once it got wet. It's once it
dries that the muck becomes a permanent part of the disk surface and
the surface of the disk starts to flake.

We literally supplied 55 gal plastic garbage cans filled with
distilled water for picking up the hard disks...had them submerge the
whole PC or server box right in the water.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than
anybody else has."