RE: Tech Comms for disaster relief

Subject: RE: Tech Comms for disaster relief
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:20:06 -0400

John Posada wrote...

> > If you ran a company located in New Orleans, chances are you
> > had a disaster recovery plan in place. Those companies who are
> > now implementing
>
> Why? Is it a law in New Orleans that a company must have this in
> place? What makes corporations in New Orleans different than other
> cities, because my experience is that companies from all over are ill
> prepared for disaster recovery.

Unfortunately John is correct about too many companies. I remember
working for a large telecom company (a Siemens subsidiary) in the
Orlando area back in the early 1990s that didn't bother making a
disaster recovery plan until Hurricane Andrew re-landscaped Homestead,
Florida, a couple hundred miles to the south. I was involved in several
meetings where disaster recovery ranging from offsite data storage to
mobile phone switching equipment was discussed, purchased, and put in
place for future disasters.

I seem to remember that in the tragic attacks of September 11, 2001,
many of the financial companies affected had offsite data backups to
save the data of their clients and shareholders, but I would be curious
to know how many of those were not implemented until after the 1993
bombing in the WTC parking garage.

It often takes a "near miss" for companies to realize they need a
disaster recovery plan, and unfortunately for New Orleans, since the
dawn of the information age they have been spared any reminders that
some day the "big one" could roll right up and over them as Katrina did
this week (and technically it wasn't even a direct hit, whatever that's
worth).

Even if every company did have a disaster recovery plan, the lives lost,
homes destroyed, and careers disrupted (if not destroyed) by the storm
are still a national tragedy that makes Central Florida's triple-strike
from last year a minor inconvenience by comparison. The religious
should pray for those poor people across the Gulf Coast; and all of us
should donate something--time, money, effort, food, clothing, or other
items to help people who make our problems seem like a picnic.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com