Re: Grammar

Subject: Re: Grammar
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:48:16 -0400

There are a number of grammatically correct options. I prefer "Click OK to open the Framistan dialog box" or "Click the blahblah link to see the Framistan screen" or "Click the blahblah link to go to the Framistan page." If you are talking about hyperlinks that take you to something that opens in a browser window, then "page" would be more accurate than "screen".

Since everyone using a computer now understands that clicking on something takes them to a new screen or page, or opens something for action, you don't really need to make the connection between click this to see that happen. The sequenced text will help the reader move from one action to the next.
1. Enter the project details. Click OK.
2. Enter the budget details. Click Save.
3. Click Print to select printing options. Click OK.

I encourage my students to avoid that word "display". While grammatically correct, "is displayed" is weak because of the past participle. Saying "the screen displays." (period) is inccorect because peacocks and baboons display, screens don't. You could say "the screen displays the results of the search" and that would be correct, but I prefer "lists search results" or "shows the results".

shonn_scott -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

Hello,
I writing a user manual. I am trying to maintain active voice, but I'm
getting a little writer's block. Would someone tell me which is correct?

1. This screen is displayed when the blah blah link is clicked.
2. To display this screen, click the blah blah link.
--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com