Re: Grammar

Subject: Re: Grammar
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:26:24 -0500

Kenneth,

Whether your formulation is better, I believe, depends upon the context.

If the option is one possible action among several, then "To display
the screen, click the blah blah link" seems the superior one as it
allows the options to be quickly scanned to determine which one to
focus upon that meets the user's needs. Reducing the amount of reading
the user needs in this way reduces the time spent in the docs and the
frustration level the user feels--even if subliminally.

If the instruction is one in a successive series of steps, your
formulation is superior--the "to display the screen" is almost an
afterthought, telling why the user is being directed to click the
link.

Both are superior to the original number one in any use.

David

On 9/2/05, Nuckols, Kenneth M <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com> wrote:

> > 1. This screen is displayed when the blah blah link is clicked.
> >
> > 2. To display this screen, click the blah blah link.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Of the two options you gave, #2 is better. However, I might write it
> like this:
>
> "Click the blah blah link to display this screen."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com