RE: Audio Transcription

Subject: RE: Audio Transcription
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:02:56 -0400

Colin,

If you are indeed looking for software to convert speech (or recorded
speech) to text as Kenneth surmised, the phrase you should be using
is "speech recognition".

But be aware that speech recognition software has a very tough task
and is therefore subject to lots of limitations. In fact, there's a joke
I've seen a couple of different places on the internet that is very
apropos:
I asked my speech recognition program "Can you recognise speech?"
Its response was "No I can't wreck a nice beach."

BTW, the Dragon Naturally Speaking program that Kenneth mentioned
is now part of ScanSoft's portfolio. Over the last couple of years,
ScanSoft has acquired Lernout & Houspie and Nuance (two other
speech technology leaders) as well as Dragon, which pretty much
establishes them as the leading player in that market.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:59:05 -0400

Collin T queried...

> What, in the list's humble opinion, is the most versatile, and the
> best all-around Text-to-Speech software out there?

Do you mean text-to-speech (as in it "reads" type and speaks whatever
text is present) or speech-to-text (as in some audio source speaks and
it produces onscreen text of what was said)?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com