MSWord: Purging List Templates

Subject: MSWord: Purging List Templates
From: "Dave Neufeld" <Dave_Neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:10:18 -0700

Hi,

Since we're on the subject on MSWord...

Does anyone know how to clean up excess list templates and other such gunk in MSWord templates and/or documents? My MSWord 2000 SP3 application seems to be getting buggier, especially with (of course) numbering.

A few months ago I updated my desktop from Win2K to XP Pro SP2. This may have had a bad affect, but I dunno. The wheels really start to fly off the boat when updating legacy (over a year old) documents. Numbering screw ups and crashes abound. I've just about ground to a halt dealing with one document.

Creeping through my system, I've warily deleted things like Normal.dot, word.pip and even the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data registry key in efforts to restore MSWord to its original splendor (yeah, right...).

I've developed my template over the years and am concerned that it has accumulated unnecessary baggage, which is now causing problems. I dunno if this is the case, because I don't know how to check for this, or how to fix it when found.

I've scoured the internet looking at MSWord MVP sites and knowledge bases galore to no avail.

Anyone got some advice as to where I should look next?

thanx,

David Neufeld [ Lead Technical Writer - Wireless ]
Spectrum Signal Processing Inc.

www.spectrumsignal.com

Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message please destroy this Message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com