Re: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?

Subject: Re: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:32:02 -0500

Jonathan,

You illustrate one of the reasons why Word is in truth a rather poor
choice for an enterprise, in my view, because of so many quirky and
buried settings that are rarely consistent from system to system. The
result, for any who care to notice, is that a template that gets
passed around soon develops results that can be very inconsistent from
one system to the next...which is obviously not the function of a
template.

It would be *very* nice if Word had a user preferences facility that
could make resetting any instance of Word to apply the same settings,
and to compare the settings used to create a document or template with
the ones in effect on the target system...allowing resetting things at
the option of the user.

It might even be a very good use for an XML file with a schema
constructed to include the many features of Word. That would also
permit a very fast way to either reconfigure a system or to be sure
that it is in some sort of standard condition when it passes from one
user to another.

Otherwise, it is a constant effort to search around in so many
unlikely and illogical locations for a poorly-labeled check box that
has an effect that seems to be totally unrelated to the label on the
check box--as in your HTML spacing example.

The amount of time wasted on this sort of arcana each year is probably
as much as is wasted by Solitaire shipping with every copy of the
operating system...

David

On 9/8/05, Jonathan West <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org> wrote:

> > From: Brian Gordon [mailto:elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca]
> >
> > That would explain the off-list reply from one person
> > who had always had the experience of Word using the
> > greater spacing.
> >
> > Now, how the heck did you discover this? Is it in Word
> > help somewhere? A book? And what does an HTML setting
> > have to do with Word?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com