RE: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?

Subject: RE: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:49:49 +0100

> From: Brian Gordon [mailto:elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca]
>
> That would explain the off-list reply from one person
> who had always had the experience of Word using the
> greater spacing.
>
> Now, how the heck did you discover this? Is it in Word
> help somewhere? A book? And what does an HTML setting
> have to do with Word?

The setting was introduced in Word 2000 and the default behaviour changed at
the same time. It took me some time & effort to work out why spacing was
changing when I was copying & pasting between old & new documents.

The Tools Options Compatibility list is full of odd little items like this,
most of which are undocumented in the Help, and most of which have far less
impact on a document than the spacing option.

Some of the options work on a per-document basis, some on a per-system
basis. The Word MVPs have been pressing Microsoft to break up the Tools
Options dialog into smaller more manageable dialogs, separating the
per-system settings from the per-document ones. We'll find out whether we've
had any effect when the Office 12 beta comes out.

Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP
www.intelligentdocuments.co.uk

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com