Re: The goals of Richard Stallman and the "free software" movement: stupid and evil (was Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?)

Subject: Re: The goals of Richard Stallman and the "free software" movement: stupid and evil (was Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?)
From: Mitchell Maltenfort <mmalten -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:41:50 -0400

GAK!

OK, I'm going to say something short and clarifying before letting
this thread drop like a lead balloon.

Richard M. Stallman is to free software what Ralph Nader is to
consumer advocacy. Prominent, persistent, and often a pill.

I use Linux because I like Unix. If Linux cost as much as Windows,
I'd still be using Linux. If I owned a Mac, I'd be using the BSD
shell as often as not. Other Linux users have other reasons.

"From each according..." doesn't work in the real world because no one
has the superhuman wisdom to precisely score abilities and needs.
It's only in software, the "virtual world" where the program code
immediately becomes the product, that Karl Marx's wishful thinking
more or less works.

--
I can answer any question.
"I don't know" is an answer.