Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?
From: Kelley Greenman <writinglists -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:04:29 -0400

At 05:41 PM 9/16/2005, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Nobody panic; I'm not going to respond publicly to a certain recent
flame.

Instead, I'd like to suggest a more constructive approach.

Several people have contacted me asking about specific open source
source tools. I'm happy to oblige, but it occurs to me that other people
might be interested, and that lots of other people on the list could
respond as well as I could -- and, on certain subjects, better.

So, instead of responding privately, I suggest a public exchange. Why
don't those who are curious about what open source tools they could use
as tech-writers, or how they could get involved in open source projects
post questions directly to the list?

In turn, why don't those who know open source tools comment in detail
about at least one of them? Not just make lists, but explain what they
like and what limitations, if any, the tool currently has?

Following these courses, the subject could actually turn back to
tech-writing, and Lisa can breathe a little easier. :-)

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

This is a terrific idea Bruce. Two pieces of software I'm interested in, but haven't even had time to find out if they exist, are replacements for Visio and Microsoft Project. As to the latter, a friend (a dedicated Open Source user, booster, and security sys admin) once told me that he'd never been able to find anything that could replace Project. Perhaps that's changed in the two years since he told me that?

Thanks,

Kelley

When you need to communicate, Ink Works!
http://www.inkworkswell.com
+1 (727) 942-9255

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com