Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About Open Source Technologies

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About Open Source Technologies
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:04:02 -0400

David Neeley wrote:

> I thought it was interesting that Microsoft is soon to release a
> "cluster edition" of its Windows server software--that will have an
> essential component in the form of a free and open source library.
> Even Microsoft seems to be unable to avoid FOSS software these days,
> especially in scientific computing.

Yes. I think the best perspective is to think of Microsoft as
*managing* the path away from platform control. I'm sure it will
continue to excel in lots of areas for a long time to come, and will
make products worth paying for, hopefully great ones. And the pace
of change will be as glacial as Microsoft can arrange.

But some things are changing forever, for Microsoft, and for Abode,
too. It'd be smart and validating if techcomms were ahead of the
curve. So far, they resist.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com