Global navigation that works with complex file structure

Subject: Global navigation that works with complex file structure
From: "Youngblood, Susan" <susan -dot- youngblood -at- ttu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:47:26 -0500

Hi folks!

I'm a fairly novice html/css coder. I'm revamping a largish Web site with a folder structure that I'd like to keep. The index file is in the main directory, but other pages--including the pages the global nav bar references--are in various subfolders.

For global navigation, the site used to use Flash buttons created in an older version of Dreamweaver. These buttons worked because the links were in Flash files (external to the html page, of course). I'm now changing the navigation to simple links that have their display controlled in CSS.

I'm creating a template in Dreamweaver MX 2004, and I'm looking for an elegant way to generate the nav links so they will work regardless of the file they are in. For instance, the nav bar on some pages may need to reference a file as .../help/topic1.htm, but on other pages the reference may simply be topic1.htm. I'd hate to have to manually correct each link when I create new pages.

Questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a fairly simple solution that works within the framework of HTML & CSS?

2) Can you point me to an easy-to-use reference work (either online or print) that outlines the solution or suggest keywords for me to try in my search? I've looked; I've even searched the TECHWR-L archives, but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks!

Susan Youngblood

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com