Re: Font Size(s)

Subject: Re: Font Size(s)
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:32:08 -0400

A couple of points...

There's a pretty good body of research that a sans-serif such as Verdana
is more legible on-screen than in print. For print, you generally want
a serif font
because it is more legible in that media.

Also, echoing many of the other responses, you're not supposed to be making
reading your work an endurance test for your readers. You're supposed to be
making life easier. Which means, for the vast majority, larger fonts because
they're easier to read and because they're easier to read, they make your
words easier to comprehend.

And finally, you're not saying anything about leading, which also factors in to
legibility. Again, standard leading or an increase in space increases
legibility
and comprehension.

FWIW, I'm using Palatino 12 on 14 for body. Dropped down to 10 on 12 for tables
and such.

Art

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com