User Manual par excellance

Subject: User Manual par excellance
From: "Lucero, Peggy" <plucero -at- atsva -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:55:03 -0400

OK, I've gotten feedback from boss about the User Manual. Complaint is
first 5-7 pages just don't grab and pull the reader in.
I've been told that it needs more purpose and focus.

Wondering...

1. Does anyone have a User Manual that they wrote for an IT deliverable
system that, well, went over BIG with the customer that you might be
willing to shoot my way to enable me to see what a grand success looks
like?
2. Has someone written an article/book on this topic that is considered
a *how to classic* on this kind of document?
3. Is there a chapter in a book that addresses how to write a killer
User Manual? One where the reader will NOT be able to put it down and
will sit up all night entirely enthralled, captivated and stimulated
beyond their wildest expectations?

OK, perhaps I'm dreaming here : ) but, I am trying to improve on this
and welcome success stories or lessons learned.

Thanks,

Peggy Lucero
ATS
7915 Jones Branch Drive