Re: User Manual par excellance

Subject: Re: User Manual par excellance
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:13:26 -0400

> OK, I've gotten feedback from boss about the User Manual. Complaint is
> first 5-7 pages just don't grab and pull the reader in.
> I've been told that it needs more purpose and focus.

Well, there's no secret formula. Go with what works. Did you ask your
boss what grabs him? (Beware a sexual harassment charge... choose your
words wisely!) But in all seriousness, if your boss is looking for
something flashy and catchy, maybe recruit your marketing department
to edit your content for those pages, or borrow from their style.

We made a conscious decision to remove marketspeak from our
documentation because it doesn't localize well. but that might not be
an issue you face.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736