RE: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?

Subject: RE: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:20:25 -0700

Maybe if no one regrets it, that's an answer there as well.

I moved from a large, public corporation to small, private company. Less
bureaucracy. More respect and autonomy. More appreciation. Ultimately
(over time) more pay. More direct impact on company publications. More
of a feeling of being part of a team. Working now for an educated
manager, knowledgeable about technical communications and the benefit of
a good documentation group.

My philosophy: I'd rather be a bigger fish in a small pond, than an
unappreciated guppy.

Here I have all that, and more. Flexible hours (so I can carpool and cut
down on the commute), telecommuting if necessary, autonomy, respect,
"enough" money to survive, stock options, and average (not great)
benefits. Plus we close the week between Christmas and New Year's, so
that's like an extra week of vacation to me.

Anyway, that's my perspective.

Claire Conant
Technical Editor
Digeo, Inc.
www.digeo.com

Is there anyone on the list who made the move that Amy's considering and
now regrets it? If not, there's some useful information right there.

-- Dan Goldstein
(enjoying the small-company life)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com