RE: Invoicing

Subject: RE: Invoicing
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:15:09 -0400

Julia asked...

> Hi all,
>
> I've been lurking for a month or so, and now I have a question--how do
you
> independent contractors handle your invoicing for clients? I've always
> worked W-2 or 1099, but now I need to do my own invoicing and would
love
> see some examples of others invoice designs.
>
> If anyone has one they'd be willing to share, that would be great!
>
> Julia

Ok first of all let me preface by saying that my experience with
contracting and submitting invoices comes in the context of working 40
hours full time on site for a single client. If this is not your
situation, the following may not be applicable.

Having said that, I created an 2-sheet invoice workbook in Excel. The
detail sheet (sheet 2) lists days, hours, contract hourly rate, and has
a "comment" line for each day to record details of project(s) worked.

The summary sheet (sheet 1) has a table listing the week, hours, rate,
and total for the period (I turned my invoices in bi-weekly). This
sheet also had a unique invoice number (a little trick I used involving
Excel's date coding), address information (client and mine), date
submitted, and lines for my own and authorized purchaser signatures.

The summary sheet was always considered sufficient, but I kept copies of
detail sheets in case there were questions from Finance or Accounting
executives or some auditing requirements. None ever arose, but better to
be safe than sorry.

I should note that for about the first month I actually used a
hand-written invoice pad purchased from some office supply place, and
this was always considered sufficient. But I wanted something that
looked more professional so I created the Excel solution on my own.
After I started using it, the client company adopted it for use with all
on-site contractors, so I still sometimes get questions about it from
people with whom I've never directly worked.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com