Re: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?

Subject: Re: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?
From: Michelle Corbin <corbinm -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:25:57 -0400

Hello everyone. I have had experience with leaving a corporate job for a
job at a smaller company. While I do not regret the decision to leave, I
must say that I am back in that corporate world, and I'm one of those type
of folk who enjoy the corporate world. However, I didn't know that until
I left and came back to it.

I left the corporate world because I was burnt out as a technical writer
and desperately wanted a change -- to test my skills as a technical
editor. Because there were no positions to be had within the corporation,
I just happened upon the job ad for a development editor, and on a lark I
interviewed for it -- and got an offer. I, too, was being offered less
money, less benefits, but it was EXACTLY what I had been wanting to do. I
leaped.

I *loved* that job. Even today, that is still my favorite job in my
career. After the first year, I had learned all the new things to learn,
and I had honed my skills as a technical editor, and it started to become
a "known entity." I would have continued in that position, with little
room for advancement (it was a computer book publisher), happily because
of the work I got to do. Unfortunately, the company merged with its
parent company, and our site was dissolved. (I don't have the stomach for
freelancing or a non-regular-salary environment, so back to searching for
me.)

Off I went to search for a new job. I landed in a small company that was
owned by a corporate one. Talk about a mixed breed of experiences. I
loved the software that we were producing, and the people were great, but
the mix of entrepreneurialism and corporate culture was quite interesting.
After that company folded (it was that time of the decade, where
companies were closing a lot), I took a 3-month contract job at a VERY
small company. There was no upward mobility, but there was plenty of
chaos and flexibility in the things that I did each day. It drove me
nuts. :)

I then came back to the corporate world, and within a few months of being
back, I found all the things that I loved about it: structure, flow,
larger networks of technical communicators, and in my view -- greater
upward mobility. I had room to grow, expand, and influence all around me.
I had a wealth of experiences outside of the corporation to bring into
this new position, and it showed. I know that I have many choices of what
and where I can go in my career, even if I choose to leave traditional
technical communication activities for other areas of software
development, project management, or gasp -- management (not likely, but
the option is there).

The money has been nice. The money can grab you and take hold of you. No
doubt about it. Ultimately, though, you have to decide this: What will
make you happiest? Money? Security? Interesting work? Good people?
Flexibility? Wherever you are happiest, you will excel beyond what even
you might realize. I am where I am today in my career because I have
followed my heart and followed what brings me happiness in my daily work.

There's my thoughts. Hope they are helpful.

Cheers,
Michelle

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com