Re: "a SQL sever" vs "an SQL server"

Subject: Re: "a SQL sever" vs "an SQL server"
From: Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:06:47 -0700

At 5:54 PM +0100 9/22/05, Alessandro Ansa wrote:

> Personally I think pronouncing acronyms
is usually a bad idea. Professionally I think it is *definitely* a bad
idea, especially in an era of wide internationalization.

computer programmers are to blame, they practically speak in acronyms.
Do you guys in America distinguish between acronyms and initialisms?
Over in the UK, acronyms are a bunch of letters that are meant to be
read out as a single word, like NATO and RADAR, and initialisms are
letters that you read individually, like HTML, CSS, BBC.

Some of us do.

But, in general, the term "acronym" over here is used very loosely to mean any set of initial letters used to stand in for a phrase. So it has been where I've worked, at any rate.

Odile

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com