RE: Linking to online help topic

Subject: RE: Linking to online help topic
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:00:12 -0700

I didn't find Bill's answer to be rude and I agree completely with
John's second bullet. I have received a lot of help and assistance from
people on this list and it amazes me that some "technical writers" who
post here don't bother to edit their own posts before sending. The
version of Kathleen's post I received had the content duplicated.

We are all busy professionals and the assistance provided on this list
should be respected and appreciated as those that offer help are
volunteering their valuable time. We should give them the courtesy of a
clear message, with enough information to allow them to give us the
correct response.

For me, everything I write should be an example of my skill as a
technical writer and editor. (Except for the shorthand I use when text
messaging my kid.) <grin>

Claire Conant
Technical Editor

> 2) Some of us have little patience with people who cannot communicate
> clearly or expect us to spend more time interpreting a question than
> composing an answer. Clear communication, both from the perspective
> of composing questions and answers, is a core competency of our
> profession and it is from people who cannot communicate clearly that
> others form their opinions of us. Is it wrong to expect a well
> thought-out and complete question when what is expected is a similar
> answer?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com