RE: Linking to online help topic

Subject: RE: Linking to online help topic
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:54:15 -0700

Brian,

I didn't say I *expected* everyone else to hold to that standard. You
jumped to that conclusion. That is why I specifically prefaced my
statement with "For me...". I also never said my perspective was
"better than". Again, you jumped to that conclusion. When I post, I
either post my own opinion based on my own experiences, or I cite my
sources.

You stated: This sort of thing comes up constantly when considering
cross-cultural, cross-gender, etc communication.

Who ever said anything about culture or gender in this topic? I don't
care if the writer is purple with green spots from Pluto. I was talking
about professionalism and courtesy for those who volunteer their time to
provide knowledgeable answers on this list - or any list, for that
matter.

That's all from me on this topic. I'm done with it.

Claire

That is your view that you expect everyone else to
hold. Perhaps not everyone holds this same 'should?'
You except IMs to your child, and I suspect some
writers don't spell-check, grammar-check, etc messages
that go to this list. Is it a big deal? To you and
John, yes. To others, perhaps not. Does one 'side'
have to be 'right?'

Second, you and Bill did not find the response rude.
That's fine. Perhaps you have a different, not
necessarily *better,* communication style. This sort
of thing comes up constantly when considering
cross-cultural, cross-gender, etc communication.
Remember the studies that put a NYer and someone from
the southern US in a meeting? The NYer came away
thinking the southener was a slow-witted dullard,
while the southener thought the NYer was overbearing
and obnoxious.

All the best,
Brian

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com