Re: Exercise to get participants involved

Subject: Re: Exercise to get participants involved
From: slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:07:48 -0600

Please, not the peanut butter sandwich exercise!

The original poster has a room full of engineers waiting to learn about
real technical writing from a real technical writer. In the first ten
minutes, the class is at their most alert, positive and receptive. Here
comes the first exercise that the instructor has chosen to demonstrate
important things about technical communication.

We're writing instructions to make a sandwich.
No-one in history has ever made a sandwich by following a list of
instructions, but never mind.
The people 'writing' the instructions already knew how to make the
sandwich. They don't need to learn anything or ask questions first.
The people who will follow the instructions already know make the
sandwich. Not sure why they're following a procedure to learn how to do
something they already know how to do.
Now they're pretending they don't know how to make a sandwich. In fact,
they're pretending to be obtuse and deliberately trying to sabotage the
process.
Now the technical writer has to make the instructions so agonisingly
literal, so mind-numbingly precise that the stubborn, malicious, dense
'users' can't find a way to misinterpret the plainest instruction, no
matter how hard they try.

So with less than two hours of the workshop to go, this is what we've
conveyed to the engineers about technical communication: it's when an
expert writes excruciating detailed but superfluous instructions for
someone who doesn't need them (but who may be stupid or malicious).

There are so many important messages we'd want to convey in a short
session. Why choose a warm-up exercise that gives contrary messages that
we then have to overcome?

So please, not the peanut butter sandwich exercise!

Stuart Burnfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com