Re: salary for entry level position...

Subject: Re: salary for entry level position...
From: Phil Gochenour <phil_gochenour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:37:58 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Also, in these situations is it more likely that the company will make
its offer first and give me the opportunity for rebuttal? Or are they
more likely to ask me what I think I deserve/what I'm worth and then
make a counter-offer?

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from a CEO was, "whoever names a number first, loses." You should always try to get the company to make the offer first, which effectively shows their hand; you are then in the position to negotiate around their number. If you have to name a number first, then there's a chance that you will undervalue yourself - many people, myself included, have a tendency to be a little too meek in their estimation of their worth, as well as how much a company is willing to pay for your services. There's also the chance you can price yourself out of the game without knowing it. As the saying goes, knowledge is power, and that's especially true in salarly negotiations.

Phil

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com