Re: salary for entry level position...

Subject: Re: salary for entry level position...
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:50:11 -0400

In *any* negotiation, the party that first proposes a number
(either as an offer or as a demand) is at a disadvantage. It can
be pretty amusing to watch the maneuvers that people use
to avoid being the first to state a concrete number.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: Glen Blair <glen -dot- blair -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:14:59 -0700

Hello all,

I'm currently in a position similar to Andy's and have also been
wondering about the most effective ways to increase a salary offer. I
have a few questions building off of what Ken suggested:

If I ask for a salary that's 10% above the top limit of the company's
range and offer a substantial rationale for the extra dough, am I
seriously endangering my chances of getting the job? Or is that more
contingent on my personal ability to sell the hiring rep. on my
skills?

Also, in these situations is it more likely that the company will make
its offer first and give me the opportunity for rebuttal? Or are they
more likely to ask me what I think I deserve/what I'm worth and then
make a counter-offer?

Thanks in advance,
Glen

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com