Re: salary for entry level position...

Subject: Re: salary for entry level position...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:48:11 -0700

On Thu, 2005-29-09 at 09:14 -0700, Glen Blair wrote:

> If I ask for a salary that's 10% above the top limit of the company's
> range and offer a substantial rationale for the extra dough, am I
> seriously endangering my chances of getting the job?

That depends when you do the asking. As a general rule, you should delay
talking about salary until the company expresses an interest in hiring
you. If the company asks earlier, you can usually avoid being pinned
down by saying something like, "Well, I know the current market" or "I
think at this stage, it's more important to make sure that we're a good
fit for each other. Once we know that, we should be able to work out
details like salary later."

Once the company has expressed an interest in you, negotiating shouldn't
endanger your chances. So, you might as well try. After all, you'll
never be in a stronger position to determine your salary.

> Also, in these situations is it more likely that the company will make
> its offer first and give me the opportunity for rebuttal? Or are they
> more likely to ask me what I think I deserve/what I'm worth and then
> make a counter-offer?

Whenever possible, get the company to make an offer first. That way, you
won't under or over price yourself.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"You bought all the props for a world that never was,
Now there's holes in the mirror, and less and less applause,
We are all ungrateful bastards, like a dog that bit your hand,
All these years and you still don't understand."
- OysterBand, "Too Late Now"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com